Monday, August 20, 2012

Nolina Nelsonii in Bloom!

Nolina nelsonii in bloom
     I have previously posted about Nolina nelsonii (here).  Well, just the other day I was out in my front border and lo and behold!, there was a bloom stalk starting up on one of my Nolina nelsoniis.  This is quite an occurrence because although I have been growing these for at least 15 years, this is the first time one has bloomed in my garden.  Earlier this year a big branch from one of the nearby Eucalyptus trees fell on top of this particular Nolina and perhaps it thought its end was near and that is what prompted it to send up this flower stalk!  In any event, none of my other 11 or 12 Nolina nelsoniis are showing any signs of blooming.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll post another picture or two as the bloom gets bigger and opens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What excitement! I hope a euc branch drops on more of your nolina. It'll be interesting to see what happens after bloom when the main stalk dies off and offsets appear.

    ReplyDelete