Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Scilla Peruviana with Lionness

Lionness sculpture with Scilla peruviana in bloom in front
     Last year I wrote about a planting scheme I had in mind for the bed by the lionness sculpture in my garden here.  I had moved some Scilla peruvianas there from my front border because the deer had been eating them, and I also have some pink California poppies and Tropaeolum polyphyllum in this bed, among other things.  So today I wanted to show you the bloom of the scillas after having established themselves after the move.  I will be posting some more pictures of this bed with views of the tropaeolum soon.  Unfortunately, as planting schemes which are predicated on different plants blooming together are wont to do, things don't always work out perfectly, and the prime bloom of the scillas was a little bit earlier than the prime bloom of the tropaeolum.  Such is the life of a garden planner!
     The bamboo in the background of the picture is Fargesia robusta which I wrote about here.  In the top left of the picture you can see the foliage of Nothopanax (or Metapanax) delavayi which is discussed here.  The bright green foliage in the center left is the unnamed alsroemeria I previously wrote about here.

3 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful bed and setting. I love that bamboo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a very good setting for the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning as always even if the plants didn't follow the bloom schedule you'd given them. Some people (and plants) just can't follow directions!

    ReplyDelete